Subject: Re: netbsd-4 hackathon
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/2007 20:41:02
On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 07:55:49PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> In article <200705160841.l4G8fCfQ015739@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca> you wrote:
> >      A bunch of NetBSD developers are getting together next week for an
> > in-person hackathon.  We're going to have an on-line hackathon to
> > co-incide with it.  The theme of the on-line hackathon will be getting
> > ready for the upcoming netbsd-4 release.  We will be working on making
> > sure that installation goes smoothly, the relevant documentation is up
> > to date, and various PRs.  The hackathon will take place from Monday
> > May 21st to Wednesday May 23rd.  Please join us on #NetBSD-code on
> > irc.freenode.net and help out.
>
> So, what happened? I haven't seen a report yet - did the hackathon happen,
> were there any results that are worth reporting?

Brief personal summary:

I had to come late to the hackathon, so I missed the first discussion,
which concerned new directions, as I understand it.

My NetBSD hack time was constrained due to some urgent CUWiN.org bugs that
followed me to Ames.  Eventually, I made some headway on disklabel issues
affecting portability of drives between architectures.  I got help from
Allen Briggs with my questions about the PCI configuration machinery.
I was able to help David Maxwell with his WRAP board by building him a
NetBSD boot image using my build scripts, and I gave him a brief demo
of the scripts.

David Maxwell gave a presentation on Coverity Prevent and Coverity Extend.
It helped to clear up some of my confusion: I had thought that Extend
and Prevent were the same product.  Coverity Extend will let one develop
NetBSD-specific analyses.  It is only available with a license.

Brooks Davis from FreeBSD met with us.  I learned for the first time
that Apple will feed some changes to their userland back to FreeBSD.
Sounds like NetBSD should get in on that.  I spoke with Brooks about
FreeBSD's experience with alternatives to CVS, especially Subversion;
he did not seem to think that FreeBSD had found a winning alternative.

I thought it was important to be able to put some new faces to names,
and also to see some old faces again.

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24