Subject: Re: mounting 9P file services
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2007 21:48:48
On Wed Apr 25 2007 at 11:10:33 -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 10:21:36AM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 04:10:09PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> > > Hi (again),
> > >
> > > The past weekend support for mounting 9P file servers using puffs was
> > > added.  To access them, do the normal puffs build tricks and then run:
> > >
> > > If you do not have a 9P file share to play around with, you can opt
> > > to run u9fs on NetBSD.  First get the u9fs server from
> > > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/v9fs/>.
> >
> > To make things easier for people, u9fs has been added to pkgsrc:
> >
> > 	pkgsrc/filesystems/u9fs
>
> So what exactly is v9fs?  I took a quick look at the webpage, but
> it wasn't very clear.  (resource sharing?  huh?)

v9fs is the linux vfs client implementation for 9P.

u9fs is a 9P server which runs as a user process on unix and serves
files using the 9P protocol.

mount_9p is a 9P client for NetBSD+puffs.

see e.g. here for more info on 9P:
http://cat-v.org/9p/

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD