Subject: Re: Use of remote crontroller
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2007 16:37:52
On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:21:20 -0700
Jason Thorpe <> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Joel CARNAT wrote:
> >> Let's put the initial question another way: is there some known >>
> >> remote
> > controller that can be used with freevo or mythtv under NetBSD ?
> It depends on what those applications expect.  If those applications
> expect to talk raw USB to the IR receiver and interpret the USB data
> directly, then consult the documentation for those apps.  Otherwise
> there is likely to be a fair bit of work to do to write a driver for
> the device for NetBSD and return the data to those apps in a way they
> support.

Many of these applications are looking for standard keyboard or mouse
events, since the controllers are comparatively uncommon.  What's
needed, then, is a way to map the IR inputs to a normal event for a
particular application.  That, in turn, may have some issues with
window manager focus in some situations, but we may choose to define
that away.

		--Steve Bellovin,