Subject: Re: Use of remote crontroller
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2007 22:34:21

> On Apr 24, 2007, at 1:13 PM, Joel CARNAT wrote:
>
>>> Let's put the initial question another way: is there some known
>>> remote
>> controller that can be used with freevo or mythtv under NetBSD ?
>
> It depends on what those applications expect.  If those applications
> expect to talk raw USB to the IR receiver and interpret the USB data
> directly, then consult the documentation for those apps.  Otherwise
> there is likely to be a fair bit of work to do to write a driver for
> the device for NetBSD and return the data to those apps in a way they
> support.

I'm looking at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/comms/lirc/ and
it seems LIRC fall in the first case "applications expect to talk raw USB
to the IR receiver and interpret the USB data directly". I think this
means porting LIRC to NetBSD would enable (if not USB, at least) serial
remote control on NetBSD, right ?

   Jo