Subject: Re: /dev/tap and tcpdump don't go together very well?
To: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: current-users
Date: 04/08/2007 15:41:13
--------------030800020807050008030908

This all reminds me of another thing.
Are there any way, or plans to be able to, change the mac address of an
ethernet interface in NetBSD? I don't think there is, but I might have
missed something.

When doing stuff like Olaf is doing here, changing the MAC address might
be desireable (in his case if he wants his PDP-10 to run TOPS-20 with
DECnet enabled, since DECnet wants specific MAC addresses on interfaces...)

	Johnny

Rhialto wrote:
> On Sun 08 Apr 2007 at 06:47:14 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>>Please be far more clear about how this is all supposed to work.
>

> I wish I could point to some easy example program, but alas. What I'm
> using involves a pdp-10 emulator with TOPS-20 (http://panda.trailing-edge.com)
> plus some private patches to add /dev/tap to it.
> (http://www.falu.nl/~rhialto/klh-diffs should be all, if I did it right)
>
> Is there some system program or possibly something in pkgsrc that I can
> try, that uses /dev/tap, so that we can verify independently? Writing a
> separate program that injects some packets into /dev/tap isn't so
> difficult but I am currently wondering how one would verify that they
> arrive at the other end.
>

>>Running tcpdump on the host as '-i tap0' will put the tap device in
>>promiscuous mode.  But packets should still function in both directions.
>

> I looked at the source (of course) and I could find no obvious
> explanation. That's why I was wondering if perhaps it was some
> non-obvious but known problem.
>

>>Try adding -p to not force promiscuous mode.
>

> Interesting. I still see (the? all?) packets with tcpdump, but the
> telnet connection still functions. This may be a clue towards finding
> the cause.
>

>>    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
>
> -Olaf.

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip