Subject: Re: Hard disk blues on laptops.
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/2007 08:12:49
--qa1NXTiqN6KSzHv0

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:56:08PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >> I'm wondering how many people on current-users use NetBSD on laptops,
> >> and if so, how many of you have come across the problem I'm facing.
> >
> >So far I got three responses, all neutral. Can't assume there's
> >massive user need for this then. I'll keep using it in any case, and
> >try to keep it up with -current. Won't check it in unless specifically
> >requested.
> >
> >Should the PR be closed ?
>=20
> Should that be enabled with an option? What do other OS's do?

Certainly, I know the noise you're talking about from some drives, but
I don't hear it on normal shutdown here.

I must say I'm confused, though - we already send a cache sync to the
drive on last close, we could just also send the equivalent of "atactl
wd0 idle" (or standby) to it as well at the same time. That is
supposed to prepare the drive for poweroff, and will probably park the
heads gracefully.  Did we have this conversation already, it seems
rather familiar.

--
Dan.

--qa1NXTiqN6KSzHv0