Subject: Re: boot failure on i386
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Joachim_K=F6nig?= <him@online.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2007 17:10:49
Greg Troxel wrote:
> sorry to be difficult, but could you be even more precise?  It sounds
> like:
>
>   full build with current sources produces a system that does not work

I did a "build.sh distribution"  with my personal settings for  -D,  -T
, -M.

Then I did a "build.sh install=/" that soon spit out a lot of error
messages and
that resulted in a unbootable system (kernel booted but hang as described
by the others).

I dowloaded base.tgz from

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200703170002Z/i386/binary/sets

and extracted ./libexec/ld.elf_so and put installed it into /libexec of
my machine.

Then I could boot again. I then copied it into my build directory's
(path for -D option) libexec
directory and did the "build install=/" again (because the working
ld.elf_so in /libexec would
have been overwritten by the wrong  one from the build otherwise)

This is the short story. I also extracted everything from the base.tgz
initially to the root of
my host, but that may be unnecessary (my system booted with it, but libc
was a bit
older, libc.so.12.149 instead of 150, so not all binaries worked, but at
least the
base system was working enough to perform the install of the build)

To be sure that the built system works more or less, you can do a
"chroot . /bin/sh" inside
the build directory (-D option path), or any other executable.

Joachim