Subject: Re: on not shooting yourself in the foot during upgrade.. (PATH=/rescue:$PATH)
To: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2007 07:48:37
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 03:19:10PM +1000, George Michaelson wrote:

> I am probably very confused, but I don't understand why /bin/sh
> and /sbin/init depend on the shared libs, but didn't die during the
> upgrade.

The runing copies of programs (eg init) continue to use the shared
libraries that were present at the time they were started.

Also, if you've had to boot from some other media, and then mount the
root filesystem of your 'real' system, you might find that a chroot
into the 'real' root fs helps to give you a full set of commands.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk