Subject: Re: scsibus on recent current?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2007 22:34:18
On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 03:16:11PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> I decided to sit down and look a bit more as well.
> I haven't traced it down yet, but I think we can skip the MI scsi stuff.
>  In fact, I think we can skip the scsi totally.
>
> From what I can see, it appears we have a problem with the callout
> functions in the vax port. If I register a callout, it never gets
> called. Either there is something that have broken in the timer
> handling, or we're locking out the timer interrupts, I'd guess.
> I'll see if I have some more time later tonight to look at this.
>
> Or does anyone know what might have happened recently?

I ran into this on alpha.

it ended up being the bool-ization (TRUE -> true) in the kernel sources
broke some machine-dependent handling of UVM_PAGE_IDLE_ZERO.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-alpha/2007/02/24/0000.html

scsibus probing just happens to be the first place in bootup where the
idle loop is called.

I assume the vax fix will be similarly trivial.

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt