Subject: Re: MAKEDEV/MAKEDEV.subr issues in today's i386/amd64 builds
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/2007 19:40:19
On 28/02/07, Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> > I tried installing a build from today, and I got an error when trying
> > to run MAKEDEV along the lines of "cannot find /MAKEDEV.subr" and
> > "$dirname not found".  Something is definitely broken, IMHO.
>
> When you say "installing a build", do you mean "installing a build by
> booting an INSTALL kernel", or do you mean installing in some other way?
>
> It sounds as though you are running MAKEDEV in a context in which there
> is no dirname command in the PATH.

I've reported the same yesterday on amd64. No, there is no
MAKEDEV.subr nowhere on the install CD; I was able to manually make a
few nodes and mount the disk, but couldn't find it in the brief time I
could try it.

The normal /dev/MAKEDEV doesn't appear to contain reference to
MAKEDEV.subr; it probably is some recent modification and the list of
files to include on the installation cdrom hasn't been upgraded.

> --apb (Alan Barrett)

Chavdar Ivanov