Subject: Re: i386 -current on Supermicro X7DAE
To: None <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2007 15:50:10
On 22/02/07, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22/02/07, John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
> > FedEx just delivered a new computer based on the X7DA8 (the SCSI version
> > of your board) yesterday afternoon so I'll setting it up over the next
> > several days.
> >
> > According to your Xfree86 log:
> >
> > "Unknown NVIDIA chip found"
> >
> > What video card are you using?
>
> It's a Quadro FX560.

It seems to be a problem with driving the monitor - both XFree86 and
Xorg actually run, but do not show anything on the Dell Ultrascan
normally connected to that seat (ssh to the box shows all processes
expected).

I connected an HP UltraVGA 1280 and that worked with both Xorg and
XFree86. If I boot the system with the HP monitor and start X{any}, I
can then substitute the other monitor, and it works. Then if I shut
down X{any} and restart it again, I get it running on the Dell, but
extremely dull - one can just about see the borders of the windows.
Also it appears the reaction to the keyboard is very slow if X is
running - it takes a minute to get to the prompt after hitting
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

I've started now my (so far unsuccessful - can't see the disk in any
setup) attempts to install Solaris Express Developer Edition and will
come back to -current later.

> > I backported support for the newer Nvidia chipsets (I'm using a GeForce
> > 7800 GS) from Xorg CVS into pkgsrc/x11/xorg-server last fall for my own
> > use. I'll send you my patch set if you're using an unsupported video card.
>
> Thanks; I will try later today to run Xorg on the box to see if the
> stock 6.9 from pkgsrc will cope.

> > --
> > John R. Shannon, CISSP
> > Chief Scientist