Subject: Re: request for testers of PDPOLICY_CLOCKPRO
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
From: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2007 11:06:48
This is exactly the issue I had.  It definitely handles actual page
replacement much better than pdpolicy_clock.  The problem is that the
tuning options don't seem to be fine-grained enough (or I don't
understand it well enough).  For some applications, I could see its
current incarnation being favorable.  It's just not good for desktop
use. :(

And, as you say, if you don't do vm system tuning, you can run into
this problem with old policy as well.  I'm not familiar enough with
this to know exactly what should be done, but perhaps something like
adding "weights" to the listq entries?

Regards,

--Blair

Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11