Subject: Re: the path from nathanw_sa -> newlock2
To: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2007 21:58:16
On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:20:05PM -0800, Bucky Katz wrote:

> I don't know who you mean by "we", but whomever "we" is, they're not
> talking to the NetBSD developer community before deprecating large
> pieces of functionality.

Sorry, I was vague there - by "we" I do mean the NetBSD developer
community.  I am a NetBSD developer.

> We'll get past it. My team will throw away the work we did on M:N
> threads and support in libpthread.  We'll redo it to for 1:1
> support.

I honestly hope that is not too much of a set back.

> We'll worry on a regular basis which rug will be pulled out from under
> us next.

I can see that is a valid concern but the developers to work hard to
try and minimise the effects of their changes and keep backward
compatibility as far as possible.

> But we will say that we're sad and disappointed about what is a broken
> process, because the process is broken and we are disappointed.

Yes, and it would be good to fix that.

> Perhaps if "we" would stop being defensive about "six months" and "we"
> would actually talk to the developer community, "we" wouldn't be
> seeing email like this.

I did not mean to sound defensive - it was merely an observation that
this work, to my knowledge, was started relatively recently and Andrew
has made rapid progress.  No more or less than that, sorry if it
sounded like anything else.

--
Brett Lymn