Subject: Re: the path from nathanw_sa -> newlock2
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2007 23:36:24
christos@astron.com (Christos Zoulas) writes:

> We can make the minutes public; we just have not been asked to do so before.

I suppose current is not the place to air this, but as no one is
responding to my email, again, here goes.

Newlock2 and the opaque nature of core discussions has rather
frustrated my team.

The first we were aware of newlock2 was a couple of weeks ago, when I
heard about it by accident on an IRC channel. At that time I didn't
know, and didn't realize until today that it means dumping M:N
threads. Even after the recent commits, which I haven't had time to
inspect, I thought it was about finer grained locking only and had no
idea it was going into the tree.

The decision to dump M:N threas is frustrating to my team because,
among other things, over the last year we've been using them and
fixing bugs in them as they relate to uniprocessors.

It's very frustrating trying to contribute to the development of
NetBSD when we can't get "inside" and there's not enough information
"outside" to figure out what path we should take.

Y'all are hurting yourselfs with this lack of transparency. I sure
hope that whatever you're avoiding by being opaque is worth it to you.