Subject: Re: the path from nathanw_sa -> newlock2
To: Perry E.Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2007 09:40:10
On Feb 12, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I believe the newlock stuff was started by Jason Thorpe, actually, but
> Andrew certainly brought it to fruition.

That's correct.  I started the effort back in 2002 -- I realized that
we were never going to get certain of our MP issues fixed until we had
better synchronization APIs.  I used Solaris as a model, for a couple
of reasons:

1- Solaris is widely regarded as a very high-quality MP implementation.

2- The Solaris synchronization APIs and implementation were thoroughly
documented.

Andrew Doran has done a fantastic job bringing the code forward and
improving it, and we all owe him our thanks and congratulations.  I
sincerely appreciate his work in this area (and wish that I had more
time to contribute to it directly myself, these days).

BTW, a nice side-effect of adopting Solaris-like APIs for this stuff
-- makes it easier to port things like DTrace and ZFS :-)

-- thorpej