Subject: Re: Build failure - port i386 - missing SYS_sa_* symbols for libc.so
To: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2007 13:46:59
Hi,

On Sat, Feb 10, 2007 at 02:38:47PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:

> Yes, I've updated the system correctly and all it's working fine.

Excellent, thanks!

> BTW why the mb, rwlock, condvar and mutex manpages are disabled
> and not installed?

I haven't had a chance to enable them yet. I also need to update a few other
manual pages under man9 for interfaces that have changed or are obsolete.
Hopefully I'll get a chance to do that later today.

> Now I can see in top(1) that some processes are enclosed between "[]",
> what does that mean? (are they running at the same time because we
> are not running the big lock anymore?).

Those are kernel threads, nothing too special about them. For now kernel
threads always run with the big lock held, but that will begin to change
going forward.

If you're interested in seeing some of the effects, you can run the lockstat
command. It will show some of the pressure being taken off the kernel_lock,
and show you how much time is being spent waiting for it. Provided you have
the pseudo device in the kernel, and the device node made you should be good
to go..

spanners$ ls -l /dev/lockstat
crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  177, 0 Oct 22 16:22 /dev/lockstat

Cheers,
Andrew