Subject: Re: jerky interactive behavior -- a clue?
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/30/2007 09:06:04
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 07:50:41 -0500
"Blair Sadewitz" <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, I thought I'd follow up with some more important information on
> BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN.  Yamt@ informaed me that the reason it is still deemed
> "experimental" is that it interacts poorly with the UVM system such
> that--with certain kinds of interactive activities--performance may
> suffer.

um. thats exactly the same as the baseline default, and the previous
alternate.

ie. *all* of the UVM system interactions can react badly to interactive
performace!

> I do not recall what exactly the problem was, as I can't find the
> email right now.
>
> It is worthy of mention that when I disabled BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN, I no
> longer had audio skipping problems.  Thus, unfortunately,
> BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN isn't a panacea. :(

No. Right now, for me, modulo not needing audio, its heaps better than
the alternatives, and I *am* on a box which depends on interactive
performance, and does king-hit disk I/O from time to time.

YMMV

-G