Subject: Re: usb panic
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2007 16:29:26
--=-=-=

"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:08:21 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
>
>> Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de> writes:
>>=20
>> >
>> > Ah yes. Assuming that the keyboard has no external power
>> > supply, it shouldn't provide a self powered configuration.
>> >
>> > The use of "self powered" wrt USB devices is pretty
>> > confusing btw -- it means that the device doesn't need
>> > power from USB, this means it uses an external power
>> > supply or battery. Naively, one might interpret "self powered"
>> > as "does not need extra power".
>>=20
>> I saw this also with a Sprint EVDO card, and haven't figured out
>> what's up.  Is the code now stricter than it used to be?
>
> Are you still seeing that?  The changed code is working properly for
> me.  I was using my EVDO card Saturday night, with no trouble.

I updated last evening and rebuilt/reinstalled.

I just tried the sprint card again (ohci/uhub/ugensa/ucom), and it
worked.  On one insert, I got 'device problem' and 'disabling port',
but I did 'drvctl -d ohci0' and removed/inserted and then it came up.

I was also diddling ppp/chat scripts since this was the first time I
used the card on the machine in question, so the chaos level was a bit
high.  But the machine is on the net via Sprint EVDO now.

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--