Subject: Re: Stability of the netbsd-4 branch
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2007 09:25:53
On Jan 21, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>>   Thanks.  Any opinions about stability, or thoughts about what's
>> new in 4.x that might be worth worrying about, are welcomed.  :-)
>
> Well, if you don't need any of the new features I'd say to stay with
> netbsd-3. On the other hand, I'm running a netbsd-4 Xen3-dom0 in
> production,
> without troubles, and I've just switched 2 Xen2-domU to netbsd-4 to
> use
> carp, without problems so far ...

   Yup.  I agree very much, but am just not familiar with what all of
the differences are between 3.1, and netbsd-4.  I looked through src/
doc/CHANGES and CHANGES-4.0, and there are a couple things in there
that would be useful.  The only one I'm actually using is IPv6 in
gre, but of course I hand-patched that in the 3.0 I'm running now, so.

   But, it sounds like it's worth trying.  I will give it a shot and
see how it runs.  The TCP-checksum offloading for the wm driver for
IPv6 sounds like fun.  :-)

                                                         - Chris