Subject: Re: manpage XCreateWindow is misformatted
To: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2007 18:40:34
[This is not current-specific, so should be moved to either toolchain
or userlvel (see below)]

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 15:32:51 +0100, Rhialto wrote:

> Subject: manpage XCreateWindow is misformatted
>
> Under STRUCTURES there is supposed to be a table or list or something
> like that, instead there is a chaos.

There are two problems.

1) Our man(1) program doesn't understand the '\" convention.  The
first line of the manual page may list the preprocessors it needs, and
XCreateWindow does that.

2) But people don't see that bug very often because we ship catpages
preformatted, and in our makefiles we have USETBL= etc, so a correctly
formatted cat page hides the bug in man.  Try e.g.

	$ mkdir -p /tmp/man/man1
	$ cp /usr/share/man/man1/ksh.1 /tmp/man/man1
	$ MANPATH=/tmp/man man ksh | less +/'Compound commands'

and compare with

	$ man ksh | less +/'Compound commands'

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen