Subject: Re: memtestplus on amd64
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2007 18:00:55
At 7:09 Uhr -0800 6.1.2007, paul@whooppee.com wrote:
>If only a limited number of
>memory errors is found, is there any (fairly painless)
>way to make NetBSD skip that address?  It's pretty
>painful on the wallet to replace 2GB of DDR-400
>just because of a single error location!  :)

I had the same problem with a 16 MByte 30 pin SIMM a while back that has
exactly one (1) sticky bit. When I googled back then, I found that there is
a linux kernel extension for mapping out bad memory, but I didn't find a
similar mechanism for other OSes.

OTOH, if your time is worth anything, you are probably better off by
replacing the part, since you'll be back to square one otherwise whenever
the box in question shows fishy behaviour.

	hauke