Subject: IPod Shuffle (second generation) -- any success with NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/25/2006 18:24:07
	Hello.  My wife and I just received the new IPod shuffles as christmas
gifts.  These are the tiny 1G shuffles with the docking cable which pushes
everything through the headphone jack.
	I tried plugging mine into my NetBSD-3 workstation, and I get a disk,
but it's only reporting 242MB, and it can't read anything from the disk,
including the boot sector.  After the first attempt to read a disklabel,
fdisk reports:
fdisk: DIOCGDINFO: Operation not supported by device

	I'm reasonably sure these two anomolies are related, and have
something to do with the way the NetBSD USB stack is probing the device,
but I'm unclear how to proceed in terms of the most efficient way to debug
the problem.  Should I just turn on USB_DEBUG and see what happens?
If it's any help, trying to write to the device, i.e. with  fdisk, causes
the writing process to hang in physio.

The USB ID numbers are:
Vendor (Apple, 0x05AC), Product:  (0x1301)

I'd like to get this working, and I'm happy to help debug things if folks
have suggestions.  If I figure it out, I'm also happy to post patches.

Any ideas?

-thanks
-Brian

umass1: Apple iPod, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
umass1: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
scsibus2 at umass1: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
sd4 at scsibus2 target 0 lun 0: <Apple, iPod, 2.70> disk removable
sd4: 242 MB, 30 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 495616 sectors