Subject: wsdisplay on vesafb is slow
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2006 09:22:52
I am using:

options        KVM86                   # required for vesabios
vesabios*      at vesabiosbus?
vesafb*        at vesabios?
options        VESAFB_WIDTH=1024
options        VESAFB_HEIGHT=768
options        VESAFB_DEPTH=16
options        VESAFB_PM               # power management support
wsdisplay*     at vesafb? console ?

When at the text console, it displays very slow. If I output a screen full
of text, I can watch it type line by line. Maybe two seconds to fill the
screen. (It is like I am on a slow serial console.)

Any suggestions on how to speed this up? Or troubleshoot this?

By the way, I also use this under X (since around May) and it is fast
enough for me there. Displaying same text in an xterm in X using wsfb with
wsdisplay with vesafb is very fast. It just flashes on the screen like I
expect.

Anyone else have very slow text console display?