Subject: Re: Problems with wm driver and 1000bas-SX connections
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/2006 07:25:20
	Hello.  This is an excellent suggestion.  Unfortunately, in this case,
it doesn't seem to work.  I have a feeling that the chip is either
mis-reporting link state, or the driver is not interpreting the chip's
state correctly.  Also, I'm a little unclear as to whether the negotiations
are handled by the driver itself or the card's firmware.
	The vendor we bought the card from says that you can download various
firmware modules into the card, but the Intel web site is a little vague on
this topic.  Is there anyone on this list who knows about alternative
firmware for these cards, and whether our driver even supports uploading
and downloading such firmware into the card?
	Finally, is there a specification I can read which describes how all
this autonegotiation stuff is supposed to work?
-thanks
-Brian