Subject: Re: LFS panic
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2006 14:15:43
On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 12:49:46PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 06:08:19PM +0100, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> > When you unmounted the ffs filesystem the superblocks got updated,
> > causing some random corruption on the LFS filesystem.
> > I wouldn't expect any operating system to deal with such abuse
> > gracefully ;)
> 	I would, but maybe that's asking a lot.  If the damage is limited to
> the superblock it seems like the kernel should be able to do a few sanity
> checks to at least avoid getting a fault.

There's no guarantee that the damage is limited to "the superblock" of
course: the unmount of the FFS will have written back all pending data.
And there is no reason to assume that even the FFS metadata, when written
back to a different filesystem, will happen to trash _only_ one convenient
part of the metadata of that other filesystem...

Thor Lancelot Simon
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
   private means are permitted to use their advantages to control the course
   of public debate."					-John Rawls