Subject: Re: build failure on bootxx_msdos
To: David Laight <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2006 11:44:51
On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 10:32:18AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> Also i386 the inlined code for memcpy() is seriously sub-optimal.
> (you don't want to be doing the 'rep movsb' with cx 0/1/2/3)

We're building the bootblocks with -mtune=i386.  This may have something
to do with the pessimal code selection.  No, I don't know why anyone might
think -mtune=i386 was a good idea, even for reasons of code density i486
should be just as good.

Thor Lancelot Simon
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater
   private means are permitted to use their advantages to control the course
   of public debate."					-John Rawls