Subject: Re: build failure on bootxx_msdos
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/02/2006 11:44:51
On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 10:32:18AM +0000, David Laight wrote:

> Also i386 the inlined code for memcpy() is seriously sub-optimal.
> (you don't want to be doing the 'rep movsb' with cx 0/1/2/3)

We're building the bootblocks with -mtune=i386.  This may have something
to do with the pessimal code selection.  No, I don't know why anyone might
think -mtune=i386 was a good idea, even for reasons of code density i486
should be just as good.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater