Subject: Re: What to do for a graphical browser in NetBSD???
To: None <>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/2006 00:05:50

Em Ter=E7a 21 Novembro 2006 16:54, Steven M. Bellovin escreveu:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:33:43 -0800, (Brian
> Buhrow) wrote:
> > 	Hello.  thank you for all the feedback.  As someone pointed out on
> > this thread, Firefox has been upgraded on the pkgsrc-2006Q3 branch, so I
> > just did a cvs update, and that seems to have gotten me over this
> > problem. Now, another question.  I'm now trying to decide whether I
> > should compile my own native version of firefox, or if I should just run
> > the Linux binary.  The question I have is if I compile a netBSD native
> > version, which I'm more inclined to do, will we still  be able to use a=
> > the plugins, like, java, acroread, etc.  Those appear to be binary
> > plugins for the Linux version, and my concern is that if I use a native
> > version of the browser, I won't be able to use it with these "must
> > haves".  Aare there alernative way of geting the same feature set besid=
> > just running the Linux binaries?
> If you need the plugins, you have to use the Linux binaries.
> 		--Steven M. Bellovin,

I've been having terrible times with Linux binaries for Firefox and Flash=20
player plugin, with core dumps everywhere after going to a handful of=20
different websites, both in 3.0 and in 4.99.1.  Anyone has a clue for why,=
and how to fix it?

BTW, the new Flash player 9 beta is coming ALSA-only (and it seems that the=
official release will no longer use OSS).  Are there plans for ALSA=20
emulation/support in NetBSD?

=2E.. Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (NetBSD)