Subject: Re: wedges and hotplugging
To: None <>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2006 17:39:46
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 12:48:22PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:54:09AM -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> > Let's say that I'm using wedges and I want to use USB flash drives and
> > a USB CF card reader.  If I boot the machine with any cards or flash
> > drives connected, it screws up the order in which wedges are
> > autoconfigured.  Does anyone know how I could work around this?
> The canonical way to force an order on device detection is to
> specify it explicitly in the kernel config. I'm not sure of the
> various drivers involved for the devices you describe, but here's an
> example from a kernel config for a machine I don't use any more:

 yes, for non-wedges.  Wedges add another layer on top of that
so it's possible to get things in the right order even if the device
names change at random.
  Sorry, but I don't know how to configure it to do that, I just know
that it's supposed to be possible according to what I've read about
how wedges work.  (and both the dk and dkctl man pages are rather sparse
on details)