Subject: Re: wedges and hotplugging
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2006 17:39:46
On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 12:48:22PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:54:09AM -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> > Let's say that I'm using wedges and I want to use USB flash drives and
> > a USB CF card reader.  If I boot the machine with any cards or flash
> > drives connected, it screws up the order in which wedges are
> > autoconfigured.  Does anyone know how I could work around this?
>=20
> The canonical way to force an order on device detection is to
> specify it explicitly in the kernel config. I'm not sure of the
> various drivers involved for the devices you describe, but here's an
> example from a kernel config for a machine I don't use any more:

 yes, for non-wedges.  Wedges add another layer on top of that
so it's possible to get things in the right order even if the device
names change at random.
  Sorry, but I don't know how to configure it to do that, I just know
that it's supposed to be possible according to what I've read about
how wedges work.  (and both the dk and dkctl man pages are rather sparse
on details)

eric