Subject: Re: wedges and hotplugging
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/14/2006 12:48:22
--9kBr9UDtZsI8nE8z

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:54:09AM -0500, Blair Sadewitz wrote:
> Let's say that I'm using wedges and I want to use USB flash drives and
> a USB CF card reader.  If I boot the machine with any cards or flash
> drives connected, it screws up the order in which wedges are
> autoconfigured.  Does anyone know how I could work around this?

The canonical way to force an order on device detection is to
specify it explicitly in the kernel config. I'm not sure of the
various drivers involved for the devices you describe, but here's an
example from a kernel config for a machine I don't use any more:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0  # 2 GB LFS disk
sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0  # 6 GB boot disk
sd* at scsibus? target ? lun ?  # SCSI disks

(I don't remember why I thought it was necessary to pin these
down, nor why I decided I wanted the boot disk to be sd1 rather than
sd0, but that's not really the point here.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--9kBr9UDtZsI8nE8z