Subject: Re: gcc3 deletion
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/06/2006 19:10:57
On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:10:08AM +0100, Adam wrote:
>>hi folks.
>>
>>unless anyone can provide a really good reason, i plan to remove the
>>gcc3 sources from netbsd in one weeks time (nov10, 2006.)
>>
>>i will make a final tag in src/gnu/dist/gcc before i do this.  the
>>only remaining platform that still uses gcc3 currently is ns32k and
>>that platform will (need to) grow a pkgsrc/cross/ns32-netbsd to
>>continue to be easily buildable.
>>
>>i will post when this is done, and what the pre-delete tag is.
>
>By the way, is there a reason we don't have f77 anymore? :)

I for one defiantly need f77, given the number of
production applications that use it, am surprised to
hear it is not in current. That said, there is no
issue here getting it from pkgsrc, if that works.

This is the first I've heard of a f77 phase out (ie
consequence of gcc4), so far all my testing has
been with 3.1RCx---not sure all the gcc3 fall out,
but (even when f95 is readily available) I would
expect many sites to have problems if/when f77 is
difficult.

// George