Subject: Re: Strange system hangs on amd64
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/2006 20:28:31
Paul Goyette writes:
> Looks like I may have been a bit over-optimistic when I reported that
> my amd64 system was running fine with a kernel built from Nov 1 .
>
> When I woke up today, all my sessions were completely locked up, and
> there was no response, not even to a request to switch my wscons back
> to console/ttye0.  Yet, it still responded normally to a 'ping' from
> another box on the same network.  This is the second day in a row
> with identical symptoms.
>
> It _may_ be disk I/O related, as both times my nightly Amanda backup
> was in progress at the time of the hang.  A i386 system right next to
> it, built from the same sources, had no trouble, but it wasn't doing
> any heavy I/O.
>
> Since this is repeatable, I'd certainly like to resolve it.  It's
> beyond my expertise level, but if anyone has any good ideas to try,
> I'm more than happy to cooperate.

Try a -current kernel from today, or at least one with everthing up
to and including this fix:

 cvs rdiff -r1.172 -r1.173 src/sys/kern/kern_synch.c

With this change (and other recent fixes to kern_sig.c and
kern_synch.c), I've been unable to reproduce the hangs I was
seeing on my Core Duo laptop...

Later...

Greg Oster