Subject: Strange system hangs on amd64
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@quicky.whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/05/2006 06:20:17
Looks like I may have been a bit over-optimistic when I reported that
my amd64 system was running fine with a kernel built from Nov 1 .

When I woke up today, all my sessions were completely locked up, and
there was no response, not even to a request to switch my wscons back
to console/ttye0.  Yet, it still responded normally to a 'ping' from
another box on the same network.  This is the second day in a row
with identical symptoms.

It _may_ be disk I/O related, as both times my nightly Amanda backup
was in progress at the time of the hang.  A i386 system right next to
it, built from the same sources, had no trouble, but it wasn't doing
any heavy I/O.

Since this is repeatable, I'd certainly like to resolve it.  It's
beyond my expertise level, but if anyone has any good ideas to try,
I'm more than happy to cooperate.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
|                  | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |