Subject: Re: Strange tape behavior
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@quicky.whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/13/2006 06:32:37
Googling around finds lots of comments about the drive needing a long
timeout for some operations, but no mention of the "short write" issue.

Just to be sure, I copied some real data to the tape, and it does NOT
return "every other byte" (ie, all odd-numbered or all even-numbered).
It actually truncates the reecord exactly in the middle.

Also just for completeness, I booted up an older NetBSD 3.something
i386 kernel, and got the same results.  So it's not amd64-specific.

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Hardware compression?
>
> No, but seriously... sounds like it may be hardware in search of a
> Quirk.
>
> Have you checked around via Google for whether there's some fancy
> goobledygook the vendor wants you to put into, for example,
> Solaris's /kernel/drv/st.conf? (Unless I've missed more than I
> thought ignoring things since roughly 1.6, we haven't got a similar
> driver config file, but, you know, rebuild your kernel.)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
|                  | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |