Subject: Re: Default 'login.conf' in new installs?
To: haad <haaaad@gmail.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2006 15:16:11
On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:02:51PM +0200, haad wrote:
> > Yes, there's no login.conf on /etc for all the default installs I made.
> > There must be a reason why its not included. But it will be most helpful
> > to have a guide on how to correctly write the format. Like the one for
> > OpenBSD.
>

> I think that /usr/share/examples should be more appropriate for this purpose.
> OpenBSD use this file as example
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/etc/login.conf.in?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

That only helps if you know to look there.  The whole point of the
proposed change is to make it easier for someone who doesn't necessarily
know about login.conf to discover that it exists.

It would make more sense to do something similar to how pkgsrc handles
config files:
	1) put an example in /usr/share/examples
	2) if nothing exists in /etc, put a copy there ALSO.
	3) on delete/upgrade, remove/update from /etc if the file isn't changed.

eric