Subject: Re: UFS CD-ROMs do not mount, but images of them do
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Ripke <stix@stix.id.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/04/2006 17:31:48
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:52:00AM -0400, Henry R. Bent wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have several CDs here with old-style UFS filesystems on them rather
> than ISO9660.  When I try and mount them directly (either partition,
> specifically using mount_ffs), it fails with a standard "incorrect super
> block" error.  If I create diskimages of them and mount those using vnd,
> it works and I can correctly see and access data.

Just a guess, but are we making assumptions that a CD has
2048 byte sectors... some of those older UFS (and HFS?) CDs actually
(I believe) have 512 byte sectors.

At least, it would appear that the Tru64 UFS iso image I have here
has 512 byte sectors - I ran into the same issue trying to mount
some old Tru64 distribution CDs on NetBSD 3.0 i386.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA