Subject: Re: bin/3998: Trying to mount a filesystem you don't have is cryptic
To: Christian Hattemer <>
From: Elad Efrat <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/03/2006 12:59:22
Please, no more printfs in the kernel. It's ugly and this is hardly a
problem. It's documented, and has been the way things work for literally
years across more than just NetBSD. I strongly object to introducing a
printf for it, and uprintf (IIRC, I didn't use it for a long time) won't
work over the network.

Christian Hattemer wrote:
> On 29.09.06, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>>> But, printf to the kernel is about what device?  We really want to
>>> have richer errors than just errno.   That said, I think a kernel
>>> printf for something that's rare is more helpful than harmful.
>> Why not use uprintf() ? Maybe with a sysctl to control it ...
> Sounds like a good idea.
> It could be inserted directly above the "return (ENODEV);".
> Bye, Chris

Elad Efrat