Subject: Re: Looking for HowTo instructions ...
To: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@freebsd.org>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2006 22:51:35
On 10/1/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Can someone that has installed BSDstats on your server please email me
> instructions on *how* to install it for your flavor of BSD?  I do not believe
> that either OpenBSD or NetBSD has a 'periodic' system similar to FreeBSDs, and
> would like to put something up on the site explaining how to install such that
> it runs once a month, specific to each flavors recommended method ...

Wouldn't cron be best suited for this task?  That would seem pretty
logical for running a shell script on a timed basis.  It's also quite
portable.  I read the man page for periodic, but the usefulness of it
seems quite mysterious to me.  ;)
From crontab(5):
          @monthly        Run once a month, "0 0 1 * *".

 (personally, I like the 0 0 1 * * method)
_Matt