Subject: Re: binary-only code is evil
To: Chapman Flack <nblists@anastigmatix.net>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@onlinehome.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2006 06:12:31
Chapman Flack:

> What do we do for advocacy of our
> systems during the period while our my-way-or-the-highway attitude is
> preventing our users from doing what their Redmond-facing neighbors can
> easily do?

Developing, writing documentation and giving support is in my opinion the
best advocacy.

Open Source projects simply cannot provide drivers as fast the "big ones"
can. We should accept that and stay modest.

NetBSD like other projects is about free and open software. If vendors
provide binary drivers and users are happy to use them, that's fine - but
open-source development is about more useful and more interesting stuff.

> My biggest
> concern is that taking extreme positions has this very effective way of
> forcing other people to *their* extreme positions.

Im not sure if accepting limits or being modest is an "extreme position".
The NetBSD developers simply cannot please everyone.

> As a friend put it recently, "One of the marks of adult thinking is the
> recognition that things can get very much worse." How many things do
> you want so badly you'll push blindly in that direction?

"Growing up" or "adult thinking" could imply to get be over this blob
crap.

>I think it's both
> harder, more intellectually challenging, and more ultimately rewarding,
> to try to fit the constraints to a reasonable compromise, than to dig
> in behind any slogan, however appealing it may be.

Look at OpenBSD: not only slogans - coding! Why comrpromises if we can
have solutions?

Greetings, Mark