Subject: Re: can't mount a umass device.
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2006 14:09:50
--xKAOFH8xvSgM/GoA

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 11:04:31AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> pts@bom.gov.au ("Paul (NCC/CS)") writes:
>=20
> >sd0: fabricating a geometry
> >sd0: 7153 MB, 7153 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 14651280 secto=
rs
>=20
> >It's a 30gig so the fabricated or detected geometry is incorrect and it
> >won't mount at all.
>=20
> Possible.
>=20
> >Disklabel and fdisk all hang.
>=20
> That I don't understand. At least it is not caused by the wrong geometry.
> When umass hangs it is usually caused by issuing a command that isn't
> understood by the device.

=2E.. or the device expecting a certain ordering in the commands and
getting confused because they don't come exactly as expected, thus data
for other commands is returned, and so on.

It's not like it's a surprise, there was a long standing bug with the
iPod that Nathan fixed last year which rooted to those reasons.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--xKAOFH8xvSgM/GoA

--xKAOFH8xvSgM/GoA--