Subject: if ioapic is enabled, no usb devices are probed [amd64]
To: None <>
From: Blair Sadewitz <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/28/2006 21:02:06
I have an intel motherboard with an ATI chipset (it uses ixpide).  If
I boot a kernel (current as of the 9/28/06) with ioapic configured,
everything works (except rtk0, but I always get those "watchdog
timeout" errors unless I use i386 GENERIC_LAPTOP) except for usb.  The
controllers/hubs are probed, but no devices appear.
I tried hotplugging devices to no avail, disabling various onboard
peripherals in the BIOS, and trying myriad combinations of
like to use the hyperthreading on my CPU (P4 "Nocona"), so it would be
nice to solve this problem.

I may just give up and use the i386 port, but obviously I'd rather run
amd64 (at least for the coolness factor, I don't know if it benefits
me much as I "only" have 1GB RAM).

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be most helpful.  I will post
a dmesg if anyone wishes (I am not on the machine right now), but I
think the only two significant lines as far as I can recall read
"mpbios: cannot get bus number, assuming bus 0" and "ioapic 0
misconfigured, remapped to ioapic 4".

If anyone has any suggestions on how to proceed attempting to fix
this, I'd be most appreciative.