Subject: Re: 3ware's tw_cli management tool for twa(4) now runs on NetBSD
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/24/2006 22:37:11
On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 10:38:11AM +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just committed various fixes to COMPAT_FREEBSD and twa(4) that make
> 3ware's command line tool (tw_cli) working with my 9550SX boards.
>
> My goal was to obtain the ability of attaching a new disk without having
> to reboot to 3ware BIOS setup. It's now fulfilled. I think I'll just
> export the disks as "single" unit and use RAIDframe on it (comments
> welcome on this practice: what are the benefits of using the hardware
> RAID?)

The adapter's firmware should be able to do automatic rewrite of
bad blocks. This is important especially for IDE drives, for which a
rewrite is required in order to remap the block (there's no automatic
remapping on too much read retries, as it can be configured on
SCSI disks). Also, for raid-5 the battery-backed cache of the
adapter helps a lot (if you didn't order the battery this won't
help of course :)

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>