Subject: Re: Crash to db> due to firewire, in NetBSD 4 BETA
To: Rhialto <>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/08/2006 23:26:52

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:46:56PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> Today I purchased a second external USB/Firewire enclusure for a
> harddisk. I had one of the brand Acomdata and its firewire worked fine
> with -current of some time ago. However, the new one of brand Cooler
> Master. If I boot that kernel, or in fact a GENERIC kernel from a recent
> 4.0 (from
> I get a "supervisor trap page fault, code 0".
> I have made some screenshots (sorry, no serial console), at
> and pict2013a.png.
> The stack backtrace goes like this (more detail in the 2nd picture)
> sd_get_parms_page4(0,4,c142ea00,0) at netbsd:sd_get_parms_page4+0x88
> sd_get_parms(10,c142ea1c,c142ea3c,c08cb520,cadc1a10) at netbsd:sd_get_par=
> sdattach
> config_attach_loc
> scsi_probe_bus
> sbp_scsipi_scan_target
> Any ideas?

Does it also happen with USB?

It seems that the firewire portion of the Acomdata enclosure is Initio,
like this one.  So, unless they changed something, or the firmware is
different, I don't know.  Can you test the Acomdata one again?

There seem to be no relevant changes in sd(4) since 3.0, perhaps some
higher layer was changed.

Also, how is/was the reliability and performance of the FreeBSD/NetBSD
firewire implementation?  I've been having a horrible time with
fwip(4).  Just wondering if getting a combo enclosure is worth it
if it's only going to be used on NetBSD.

	Jonathan Kollasch

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (NetBSD)