Subject: Re: ISC dhcpd fails to work for LIBSA DHCP request
To: None <>
From: Toru Nishimura <>
List: current-users
Date: 09/06/2006 10:18:17
> We are experiencing LIBSA network boot code fails to work
> with a certain ISC DHCP server.
> Either DHCP server running on NetBSD or Linux shows
> the very same trouble.

Further analysis shows that the newer ISC DHCP server leaves BOOTP
compatible "server IP address" field with a value  This is found
as equally bad as for NetBSD LIBSA and Linux kernel DHCP (kernel cmd
line option ip=dhcp).

- LIBSA can manage to go well by adding the following DHCP option
    option swap-server;  <<< Oh, yeah, it's NFS server IP...

- But Linux kernel DHCP fails to find NFS server IP address anyway;

Sending DHCP requests .., OK
IP-Config: Got DHCP answer from, my address is
IP-Config: Complete:
      device=eth1, addr=, mask=, gw=,
     host=mesa81.local, domain=local, nis-domain=(none),
     bootserver=, rootserver=, rootpath=/home/.exports/ramdisk
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on
RPC: sendmsg returned error 22

where my /etc/dhcpd.conf contains;

host machine1 {
        hardware ethernet 00:60:1b:81:00:02;
        filename "vmlinux";
        option root-path "/home/.exports/ramdisk";
        option host-name "machine1.local";
        option swap-server; <<< ahhh.

I guess the most of Linux camp are practicing /tftpboot/blahblah way
and not aware of this case.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology