Subject: Re: ZFS
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@onlinehome.de>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/2006 01:02:25
Timo Schoeler wrote:
> thus Mark Weinem spake:
>> Zafer Aydogan wrote:
>>> We should join and try to port it NetBSD, or port it from FreeBSD,
>>> when it's finished.
>>> The variety of file systems for NetBSD is growing and that's great.
>>> ffs,jffs,lfs,zfs :)
>> So there are no problems with ZFS's icense (CDDL)? I ask because
>> I just today found a statement claiming that the "NetBSD folks" are very
>> sceptical about SUN's CDDL license.
>>
>> Greetings, Mark Weinem
>

> [....] the FreeBSD community doesn't care much about _real_ open
> source spririt, e.g. they accept blob drivers (well, i saw some
> similar movement in the NEB community either).
I think this statement is very unfair, as FreeBSD is releasing
"_real_open source"
every day! And the FreeBSD-project seems  to be very open to integrate
features
and technologies from other open source projects like Linux or OpenSolaris.

But we should rnot support petitions and ask vendors for OS-specific
binary-only drivers. Nvdia drivers for FreeBSD and NetBSD without the
possibility for
all the other and smaller Open Source projects to profit - no thanks!

It's no problem for me that blob drivers work with Free- oder NetBSD  -
but we should
really not demand them.

And why do we discuss about blobs here? OpenSolaris, ZFS, DTrace, etc.
are all
Open Source  but just not BSD-licensed.

Greetings, Mark