Subject: Re: NetBSD/pc98
To: None <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: KIYOHARA Takashi <kiyohara@kk.iij4u.or.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2006 01:41:48
Hi! tsutsui-san,

From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:20:37 +0900

> kiyohara@kk.iij4u.or.jp wrote:
>
> > I put sources and diff.
> >   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/kiyohara/pc98/pc98-20060819.diff
> >   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/kiyohara/pc98/pc98-20060819.tar.gz
>
> - it looks a bit ugly to use flags of config(9) to denote
>   NE2000 variants in a config file.
>   Is there no way to probe them properly?
>   How FreeBSD/pc98 detects them?

I don't know and there might not be means.

  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pc98/conf/GENERIC.hints?rev=1.26&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

  e.g.
    hint.ed.5.flags="0x600000"
    hint.ed.1.flags="0x200000"

IMHO can't support on ne(4) currently, because some boards do the map
distorted. It is necessary the handlers as each registers.  (like wdc(4))

> - isn't it better to attach legacy devices (dcom, pic, wdc etc.)
>   at cbus (which is a dumb bus anyway) rather than mainbus?
>   I have a handmade two port dcom cbus board..

dcom_mainbus use the system-port.  However dcom at cbus not use system-
port (PORT C). In addition, the mainbus of PC-98x1 does mapped a device
different in the address of the even number and the odd number.  However,
the map of cbus device is done perhaps linear. (not support yet. ;-)

  (japanese)
    http://www.webtech.co.jp/company/doc/undocumented_mem/io_rs.txt
    http://www.webtech.co.jp/company/doc/undocumented_mem/io_syste.txt

> - how will you handle symlinks in include dir on import?
>   which dir will machine@ symlink point? (no pc98/include/Makefile)

They are provisional.  I will copy from arch/i386/include. ;-)

> - is there any plan to implement pc98 specific disksubr.c and disklabel.h?

I am looking at the source code of FreeBSD now. And, it will be supported
in a few days.

> Some other humble comments:

> - needs some KNF (no parentheses after return, uintNN_t etc).
> - bus_space.c has some retained comments about ISA

> - include "ioconf.h" rather than "extern struct cfdriver foo_cd"

> - __UNCONST() in cbus_intr_typename() looks ugly.
>   why not to make it return (const char *)?

> - "pc98" strings in dev/cbus seems ugly
>   (I know luna68k had optional cbus extension slot, but
>    it may be better to move them under arch/pc98/cbus for now?)

Oops. I will fix.  ;-<

> - please remove magic numbers as much as possible

Where does magic numbers put.
--
kiyohara