Subject: Re: suggestions for good BYOD NAS systems?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Mark Kirby <mark@coris.org.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/13/2006 10:52:37
On Sunday 13 August 2006 05:43, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I'm thinking about purchasing a BYOD NAS system, and I'm wondering what
> ones folks have gotten running with NetBSD, if any.
>
> My goals are
>
>     1) performance - I want to serve homedirs and tools off it, so
> performance is important to me
>     2) extensible -- ideally NetBSD is ported (or can easily be ported)
> to it.  I want to run
>     3) power consumption.  low consumption is important
>     4) cost.  i don't have a fortune to spend on this.
>     5) USB 2.0 extensibility.
>     6) internal IDE drive (performance and power indicates this)
>
> I wouldn't complain if it had hardware crypto for VPN (or maybe WLAN) or
> somesuch, but those are lower considerations.
>
> Any particular suggestions?  I know about NSLU2, but its external only,
> and frankly, at the lower end of the performance spectrum.  What I don't
> know is what other ones can run NetBSD.

You could try the I-O DATA HDL-G "Giga LANDISK"

http://www.iodata.com/products/products.php?cat=3DMIJ&sc=3DREV&pId=3DHDL-G4=
00U&ts=3D2&tsc=3D

from the blurb:

"HDL-G400U is a 400GB model of the network HDD products. FTP 719.0Mbps max=
=20
speed is achieved by Intel XScale=AE technology, Intel=AE 82541PI giga ethe=
rnet=20
bridge, 7,200rpm high speed HDD, and DDR SDRAM 128MB.
The 4 ports of USB2.0 I/F can connect USB printers / storages."

Mark

=2D-=20
http://digest.coris.org.uk NetBSD CVS Digest
http://digest.coris.org.uk/cvs-rss.xml RSS 2.0 feed