Subject: suggestions for good BYOD NAS systems?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/2006 21:43:04
I'm thinking about purchasing a BYOD NAS system, and I'm wondering what
ones folks have gotten running with NetBSD, if any.

My goals are

    1) performance - I want to serve homedirs and tools off it, so
performance is important to me
    2) extensible -- ideally NetBSD is ported (or can easily be ported)
to it.  I want to run
    3) power consumption.  low consumption is important
    4) cost.  i don't have a fortune to spend on this.
    5) USB 2.0 extensibility.
    6) internal IDE drive (performance and power indicates this)

I wouldn't complain if it had hardware crypto for VPN (or maybe WLAN) or
somesuch, but those are lower considerations.

Any particular suggestions?  I know about NSLU2, but its external only,
and frankly, at the lower end of the performance spectrum.  What I don't
know is what other ones can run NetBSD.

Thanks!

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/