Subject: Firewire console???
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/2006 00:07:03
So, I have a machine, running -current (3.99.23).

I played around a bit with firewire, then... Lost the ability to log in as
root on the main console.  (Still debugging kernel, haven't made other users.)

The error message is "LOGIN root REFUSED ON TTY fwmem0.3"

This makes no sense at all.  Why would I be on tty "fwmem0.3"?

The devices (fwmem0.3 and console) have utterly dissimilar device numbers,
and neither looks like ttyE0.

Any suggestions?  I've never seen anything at all like this.

Disabling the "console" line in /etc/ttys, and enabling the "ttyE0" line,
is a workaround, but it doesn't explain anything.

-s