Subject: Re: Booting from USB mass storage
To: None <>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/30/2006 03:49:22 wrote:

> The behavior seems very similar to what is described by your final post
> on that PR.  I don't think it's a gcc4 problem (although I am using
> gcc4) since I believe I saw the issue before amd64 switched over,
> although I could be mistaken.
> I'm honestly clueless as to how to debug this further, and have just
> been living with it, since I can usually re-plug the devices to make
> them show up. :-)

On macppc VIA UHCI was mostly useless but *sometimes* worked.
I've put some (a bit old) debug logs:

Looks timing issue (since each failure log is different from others).

Just FYI, Microsoft also has some fixes for VIA UHCI:

 "This problem occurs because there is a timing-specific problem
  in the Universal Host Controller driver (Uhcd.sys) that may
  prevent USB devices from being properly enumerated under
  specific timing conditions."

 "This issue can occur if the VIA hardware chipset for the device
  does not initialize properly."
Izumi Tsutsui