Subject: Re: Booting from USB mass storage
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/2006 10:25:01
In Message <060729143905.M0125887@mirage.ceres.dti.ne.jp> ,
   Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> wrote:

=>scotte@warped.com wrote:
=>
=>> uhub1: device problem, disabling port 2
=>>
=>> on boot. "Sometimes" it actually works, and I see sd0 show up, but
=>> usually not.  There's no rhyme or reason that I can tell.
=>
=>Is your host adapter is VIA UHCI?
=>if so, maybe similar problem with kern/11018.
=>(i.e. some other ports have had the same problem,
=> but I guess gcc4 triggers it on i386 and amd64.)
=>
=>IIRC, MS Windows also has a patch for VIA UHCI with
=>some fast AMD CPUs, so I guess there is some timing problem
=>on VIA's one.

   I have a similar problem with an IBM (MICRO Innovations)
USB mouse with VIA UHCI/amd64:

uhci0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev. 0x81)

   If I boot from power off the UCB port doesn't come up at all (I
think it says "controller halted", but I can't find a log that has
it), but if I then do a soft reboot, the mouse won't work initially:

uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1

   but unplugging and replugging the mouse (sometimes more than
once) will make it work:

uhidev0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
uhidev0: Primax Electronics product 0x4d09, rev 1.00/0.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0 at uhidev0: 5 buttons and Z dir.
wsmouse1 at ums0 mux 0

   The USB printer and scanner seem to be more robust and don't
require replugging, but they won't come up after a power cycle,
either.

					Gary Duzan